There’s nothing like being home on the holidays – unless you’re traveling to visit family and friends in other places. But even though you’re filled with holiday cheer, it’s important that you’re being health conscious during your journey. Today, Palmetto Tri-County Primary Care wants to share five top holiday health tips for travelers so you can have a happy, safe, and fun time with your loved ones:
- Get a checkup – First, if you’re feeling under the weather before your trip, be sure to visit a primary care doctor. This way, you can see if your health issue is minor or something more serious and get quick medical treatment. This will prevent your trip from being spoiled by an illness.
- Research beforehand – Be sure to look up current conditions related to travel medicine for your destination. For instance, if there’s a flu outbreak, you’ll want to make sure you’ve gotten your flu shot. If you’re traveling internationally, take precautions against any illnesses that are known to cause issues for travelers.
- Pack smarter – Next, be sure to pack for your destination’s climate. Take warm clothes if you’re going to cold areas. Have an emergency first aid kit on hand if possible. This will help you to be prepared for the unknown.
- Eat and drink healthy – Whenever possible, stay away from junk food during the holiday season. Instead, eat fresh fruit and veggies. While traveling out of the country, only eat food items that have been cooked thoroughly. Also, try to drink only bottled drinks.
- Follow safe transportation practices – Finally, be sure to always wear a seat belt when driving or riding in a vehicle. Drivers should always put away distractions and follow the speed limit for safety.